By Season -- @theholisticavocado
I grew up eating Rice Krispies. The mixture of fluffy marshmallows with the crunchy cereal is pure delight!
Now that I’m a parent, I like to try to recreate my favorites from childhood with healthier ingredients. That way my kids can enjoy all the fun treats and I feel good about letting them!
I healthified the classic rice krispie treat recipe by using healthy fats, maple syrup and gluten free rice cereal.
I added a thick layer of chocolate and peanut butter on the top, cause why not!
These bars turned out so amazing. They make the perfect summertime recipe to make for your family or bring to a potluck.
For the bars
- 1 tablespoon pasture raised butter
- 6 cups crispy puffed cereal
- 3/4 cup Wild Friends Organic Sunflower Honey Butter
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons grade A maple syrup
For the topping
- 1/2 cup Wild Friends Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup organic chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Melt the butter in a medium pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows, maple syrup, and the sunflower butter. Stir constantly and melt completely.
- Once the mixture is melted add the cereal and stir together quickly.
- Pour the mixture into a parchment paper lined 9 inch cake pan. Press firmly into the pan. Let cool for about 20 minutes or so.
- In a small pan over low heat, melt together the ingredients for the topping. Stir about a minute longer until it’s thick and glossy.
- Pour the chocolate over the bars and spread to the edges. Sprinkle on some sea salt and then let the bars cool. (I popped them in the fridge for about 30 minutes ) Once cooled, cut into bars and enjoy!
Want to try the Wild Friends? Use my code Season20 at checkout on the Wild Friends website and save 20% of your order!