If you have been following my Instagram (@beazysbites) for any amount of time you know of my addiction to sweet potatoes, especially paired with nut butter. Sweet potatoes have so many benefits including being high in antioxidants, vitamin A, beta-carotene, fiber, and potassium. They are also extremely low on the GI index meaning they won’t spike your blood sugar when you consume them. They have also been shown to help lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of cancer and so much more, pretty dang cool in my opinion! Not only that, but they taste absolutely unreal (especially the Japanese sweet potatoes, anyone with me on that?!).
But enough of me nerding out about one of my favorite foods, let’s get to the reason you all are here. I sometimes get asked what are the best ways to eat sweet pots and so without further ado I am going to be showing you my 3 favorite ways (it was SO hard to narrow it down haha).
#1. Loaded Sweet Potato Bowls (Sweet or Savory)
These bowls are entirely customizable and perfect to refuel with after a workout. I always try and have a balance of nutrients, but just pick some of your favorite foods and have fun with it!!
Sweet Bowl Idea
- Sweet Potato baked in coconut oil and some salt at ~350 F until cooked (cut them anyway you like; poke holes if keeping it whole)
- ½ - 1 cup of any type of yogurt (I like using Siggis skyr yogurt)
- Fresh fruit
- 1-2 tbs. of your favorite Wild Friends Nut Butter
- Extra add-ins: Energy Balls (I used Fat By Nature Fat Ball), nuts&seeds, honey, cacao nibs, etc.
Savory Bowl Idea
- Sweet Potato Cooked in Avocado Oil at 425 w/ any seasoning you like
- Your Favorite Roasted Veggies
- A Couple Poached Eggs
- Avocado Chunks
- Extra add-ins: Sauerkraut, hummus, beans, sun-dried tomatoes, herbs, my avocado cilantro lime sauce, etc.
#2. Sweet Potato Toast
Start by preheating your oven to 350F. Slice your sweet potato the long way into ‘toast-shaped’ pieces and cover them with coconut oil (or any type of oil) and salt. Bake them for about 30-40 mins flipping halfway; feel free to stick them under the broiler at the end. Take them out and top them any way you like!
I topped mine with:
- Wild Friends Peanut Cashew Super Butter + Cacao Nibs
- Kite Hill Cream Cheese + Fresh Strawberries
- Mashed Avocado + Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Banana Slices + Cinnamon
#3. Sweet Potato Ice Cream Smoothie
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 1 cooked sweet potato then frozen and cut into small pieces
- Little bit of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt for taste
- Almond Milk (or any other milk) for consistency
- 1 scoop of any protein you like (completely optional)
Start by chilling your serving bowl. Then chuck all the ingredients into a high-speed blender. Slowly adding your milk of choice until you reach your desired consistency (You don’t need a lot if you want it to be thick, just be patient!). Spoon into your serving bowl and top with Wild Friends Peanut Cashew Super Butter, cacao nibs, and some banana slices.
Hope you guys enjoyed this and let me know on Instagram if you end up trying any of these out!