During my long weekend runs all I can think about is going home to make OIAJ (oats in a jar). I used to be obsessed with making cold overnight oats and placing them in an almost empty jar of nut butter, but lately I love cooking them on the stove-top. Once the hot stove-top oats are added to the nut butter jar, the nut butter starts melting….and it’s just SOO TASTY!
Oats in an almost empty jar of Wild Friends is such a satisfying breakfast and fills me up with the right type of carbs after a long run. Oatmeal is the optimal breakfast for runners because its help replenish the glycogen stores that were lost during the run. It’s made of complex carbs, which will help keep you full for longer and prevent "runger" from happening throughout the day. My favorite OIAJ combination is actually a holiday recipe. It’s loaded with pumpkin spice and egg nog flavors, which make you wish the holidays were all year long!
Pumpkin Spice Egg Nog Oats (serves one):
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- Almost empty jar of Wild Friends Nut Butter
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup eggnog almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple chunks
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 banana
1. Combine the water/milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and oats in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce to a simmer over low heat. Stir frequently and cook until the water is almost completely absorbed.
2. While the oats are cooking, sauté 1/4 cup of apple chunks in cinnamon & coconut oil until golden.
3. Once the water is completely absorbed from the oats, crack in 2 egg whites and whisk for 30-60 seconds until they are cooked into the oats.
4. Remove oats from heat and stir in the protein powder.
5. Pour oats in almost empty jar of Wild Friends nut butter (alternating oats with sautéed apples, banana slices, and any other desired topping).
Hope you all enjoy! =)