If I could pick my favorite combination of flavors, it would be a tough toss-up between banana & peanut butter, and chocolate & peanut butter. Notice a theme here? I love peanut butter more than I can even put into words. Dramatic? Not at all. Haha it's just too good! One of my favorite indulgences is donuts. Whenever I travel to a new city, I'm always in search of the best one! I often think there's nothing like a good freshly fried, yeasted doughnut, but these baked donuts may just be my new favorite.
They're made with a whole wheat flour base, just a touch of brown sugar for that caramelized sweetness, Greek yogurt or sour cream for moisture, eggs, and coconut oil! Super simple but SO delicious. The glaze contains my beloved Wild Friends Classic Creamy Peanut Butter, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and a little bit of almond milk! I topped them with some crushed banana chips because I LOVE texture in my food, but that's totally optional! I also topped them with more peanut butter, but melted chocolate would be amazing here too. These donuts would be a fabulous addition to your Mother's Day brunch spread!
For the donuts:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (not regular whole wheat flour, this is a finer variety)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (full-fat works best)
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
crushed banana chips
Wild Friends Classic Creamy Peanut Butter for drizzling
For the glaze:
3 tablespoons Wild Friends Classic Creamy Peanut Butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup almond milk
1) Preheat the oven to 375℉. Spray a standard donut pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
3) In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, brown sugar, Greek yogurt/sour cream, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
4) Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined.
5) Spoon the batter into the donut molds, filling 3/4 the way full. You should get 6-8 donuts depending on how much you fill them.
6) Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and set. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
7) To make the glaze, combine the peanut butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, and almond milk in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth and until no lumps remain. If glaze seems too thick, add another tablespoon of almond milk.
8) Once donuts have cooled, dip them in the glaze, drizzle with extra peanut butter, and top them with crushed banana chips if desired!