By Shannon - @fitstrongshann
I love baking! Not only is it fun, but it’s my “me” time – it truly is a wonderful way to escape your routine and just get in the zone! Half the time I don’t follow a recipe, I just throw something all together and see what happens!
Lately, I’ve been loving experimenting with beans in baking! They’re a great way to pack in protein and make a wonderful vegan alternative in recipes! I figured I’d dive headfirst and make cookies using BLACK BEANS. When I was in college, the Starbucks in our student center always carried the gooiest double chocolate brownie cookies – the inspiration for this recipe!
Another great substitute I love to experiment with in baking is using nut butter, instead of oil, as the fat source! And the Wild Friends Chocolate Almond Butter took this recipe to the next level.
You can make these gluten free, vegan, high in protein and low in sugar. Enjoy!
Triple Chocolate Black Bean Cookies
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- 1/4c cacao powder
- 3Tbsp coconut sugar (or maple syrup/honey)
- 2-3Tbsp Wild Friends Chocolate Almond Butter
- 2Tbsp cassava flour (or oat/almond)
- 2Tbsp milk of choice (recommend almond or cashew milk)
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- Chocolate chips (optional, for folding in/topping)
- Walnuts (optional, for folding in/topping)
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (no oil/spray necessary)
- Take all of your ingredients and throw them into a food processor or high-powered blender. Process until the beans are completely broken down and all of the ingredients are well combined
- Fold in your chocolate chips and walnuts, then scoop batter onto the parchment paper using a tablespoon
- Bake for 18 minutes, then cool before enjoying.
If you want to try out Wild Friends for yourself, use my code shannon20 at checkout on their website for 20% off every order!